View Single Post
      08-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #14
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
Think about the guys that do ED. You think they're going to accelerate sloooooowly onto the autobahn to hit 125+MPH? Please. No one has that type of self control.
Actually, you will have no choice but to crawl onto the autobahn, as the traffic jams getting out of the cities (Munich) are worse than LA traffic during rush hour!

And you do know there are 7 gears to choose from on the way to 125+MPH, so staying below 4500 RPMs is pretty easy.

Now, you do NOT want to stay at the same static RPM Range during break in, so I ended up shifting up/down gears and avoided cruise-control during ED. None of which required bouncing off the rev-limiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
It's WOT or nothing. Drive it harder. Does a body good.
This advise only makes sense if you believe BMW engineers were exercising their German sense of humor when they wrote break-in drive-train instructions. If in doubt - go Google "German sense of humor"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
So, I just got my F82 last week and setup the M1/M2 buttons for all Comfort and all Sport+ respectively. Yesterday, I was taking a friend on a ride to show the car, switched to M2 and gave it a little gas (probably 40% pressed). I thought I had put the transmission setting in D-3 (automatic/most aggressive shift), but apparently it was in S-3. :/ Obviously, I was expecting it to shift up before going too high on the RPM as I wasn't giving it too much gas. But because it as in manual mode, the first gear redlined for a second or two.
OP - what you did is not ideal from drive-train break-in perspective, but is not the end of the world. I did something similar when playing with S vs. D tranny modes. Your car will be just fine.

Try to avoid redlining engine, tranny, and diff until the break-in period is completed if you want to keep your car for any length of time. If you are leasing, then let it rip....

a
Appreciate 2
rr006rbc1204.00