06-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A small revision to my P/W, I think we were both wrong. I think I used an inaccurate weight spec above.

Audi USA web site 3957/420 = 9.4
CSL 3054/360 = 8.5

Could the Audi be significantly lighter in the EU?

Evidence that SMG II shifts in .2-.25 seconds here. By the way I have posted this link and referred to it quite a few times.
In Europe the RS4 weighs in at 3795lbs (1650+75Kgs), not sure exactly the weight of the CSL but they quote the PTW at 256hp/tonne.

The only reason I mentioned the CSL having a quicker shift pattern than the normal M3 is because a friend commented on this very fact some years ago after being loaned a normal M3 while his was in the work-shop. But in any case his comments were not the first time I had heard something similar. Maybe someone else with a CSL can possibly confirm if this is indeed the case.

The one thing SMG will have over a manual is perfect shifts every time with no missed shifts which often happen in the heat of a race, especially with Quattro. So if the perfect manual shift can match a SMG then double it for the RS4.

The fact remains that this result goes against the basic maths that awd saps more power because of the extra drive components involved. By right the CSL should in theory walk the RS4 and I bet swampie if you put all the info available into your sim it will agree. Again this is not the first time the results from pretty equal PTW cars have produced pretty equal results, in fact the RS4 and M3 on the most part produce roughly the same results, give or take a tenth or two. It a hard one to work out because dynos don't seem to cope with awd cars that well and almost always reveal poorer than expected figures for quattro cars and awd cars in general.
Appreciate 0