View Single Post
      08-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

If ease of install is important then the new 1 plug solutions from either BMS or Dinan are cheap and 2 minute installs.

Next up will be 2 plug solutions, these take 5 minutes to install and may offer a slightly smoother power curve and a little more power as they are impacting additional stuff. These range from the BMS stage 1, AFE Scorcher, RaceChip Ultimate (this is in order of price) I've used both BMS stage 1 and RC Ultimate and found the RC Ultimate to be a little better in drivability.

Next is stage 1.5 as they connect to the same 2 plugs as the stage 1, but add the camshaft sensor to control boost by RPM. This will be AA8 and RaceChip Ultimate w/Bluetooth. I currently run the AA8 and find it better than both stage 1's I've run in terms of power and delivery; it's also waterproof and mounts to a factory bolt for clean install.

Finally, JB4 has additional sensors for EWG and flexfuel if you want to run some E85. It also plugs into the OBD port which I think is what allows you to change maps through the steering wheel. This will be longest install of the bunch, probably 45 minutes to hour first time and 20 minutes after you know what you're doing. This will give the most power with mods. If you aren't going to add any mods or run some E85, then you won't yield the benefits of this more advanced tune, so stick with the easier install options.

There is no 1 tune for a definitive answer, they all work and give you more power. The Dinan is $100 more than the BMS 1 plug solution, but allows map switching via your phone, while I think the BMS you turn a dial inside the box.