View Single Post
      08-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobit View Post
Wow. Thank you. You have a lot of good info here. I think I will stay with a 2 plug Stage 1 or the Stage 1.5 if the main diff. is a few hundred dollars more. With that being said, I have some more questions.

1> Is both the Stage 1 and Stage 1.5 Plug-in undetectable by the dealer if it's removed before taking the car in?

2> Do they throw out CEL?

3> How does it affect the ECO > SPORT+ mode? Or/and the M/S setting?

Thanks
This has been debated forever regarding hidden shadow tuner codes, but if you take out the tune, I've not seen/heard of people getting denied warranty claims from uninstalled piggyback tune. Nobody will guarantee anything though.

The higher the boost, the better chance you'll throw a code, so I'd stick to the stock settings on the 2 plug tunes as I know the AA8 I've got pushes over 5.5 extra psi of boost at some levels of the RPM range while the 2 plug tunes seem to be closer to 3-4 psi. I've gotten 1 CEL in 2 years and this was when car wasn't fully warmed up, deleted it with a cheap code reader and have had my electric fan replaced and no issues with warranty. The extra cam sensor plug is tricky to get to of the 1.5 stage tunes if you have big hands. Once you've figured out how to disconnect it, I find it easy, but others think it's a pain in the butt, so beware if you aren't mechanically inclined or good working with small spaces.

The tunes have no impact at all on eco/sport m/s modes. All they are doing is upping the boost while using the BMW power band, just higher at every level. Of course comfort will feel more powerful/responsive vs prior to the tune because you're pushing more boost/power.

JB stage 1 is by far the most used 2 plug tune for BMWs. You can adjust boost up/down a bit depending on what works best for your car and the quality of gas you are using. Stock setting I think it's 4 psi boost increase.

Good luck