06-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Supraman66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 40i; 10 BMW R1200RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
For 20190604-02, every other car on the planet NEVER turns off reverse camera while car is in reverse FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. Ok, I don't know about every other car, but every car I've owned and rented to date, so at least a dozen models with reverse cameras. They figured it out. So yes, definitely a bug and a significant safety one at that.

For 20190605-03, if you start this sequence by REVERSING, it all works correctly — rear camera on when in reverse, front camera on when in drive automatically. But when you start as shown in the video, it fails to autoswitch to forward camera in drive. Other cars do it right, although I've only driven a couple of other cars with front cameras. It doesn't matter if BMW did it wrong in other models as well. So yeah, a bug. One might ask what the logic should be instead: a) most cars are simplistic: switch to forward camera whenever gear is shifted to drive, switch to reverse camera whenever gear is shifted to reverse — that works well; or b) for a bit more sophistication, but at a risk of more corner cases, same logic they've already used elsewhere: switch to forward camera whenever gear is shifted to drive AFTER gear was just in reverse.
I believe this is a coding issues. BimmerCode allows you to set the distance and speed at which the top view and rear view camera changes/stops. I would be interested to know at what point in time (distance/speed) the camera switches back to front or just closes PDC.

My car is out for PPF and have only had it two days so I honestly don't know.

Really appreciate the videos!!
Appreciate 0