View Single Post
      06-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
A 335i has US curb weight of 3570lbs. Even if you drop 300lbs for the 1, it still weighs in over 3200lbs. Sorry guys, but to expect the 1 to be 4~500lbs lighter than the 3 is a bit unrealistic to me.
I prefer the word optimistic, but I hear what you're saying. I'd like to see the 135 come in 400-500 lbs lighter than the 335 and significantly smaller as well. But, I'm only going to buy one! BMW has to bring a product to market that will appeal to a large number of people. That means a lot of compromises will be made, most of which will make the care desirable to more people. This idea usually means additional features, and it drives the weight up. Additionally, BMW's are built like a vault in comparison to many other marques.

In the end, I hope the car's light, but I'm not going to forego air conditioning, stereo, air bags, moonroof and a bunch of other things because they're nice and I want them. Power seats? I can pass on them. Your list is different than mine. Together our list makes the car heavy. With luck, the 135 will be available with a long list of optional equipment, which can be selected or omitted by the buyer. If someone wants a lighter car, they may be able to order it that way by denying themselves something. Further, they can replace heavy components (seats, wheels, exhaust, etc) with lighter aftermarket components. All this costs money, both before and after the purchase of the car. For me, I'll probably be lucky to get the weight of my 135 down to the weight of my old E36 M3.
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0