View Single Post
      08-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #31
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
I had a Tesla until a few months ago as well as two Volvo's with their best autonomous driving. I just got our 23 X7 with Driver Assistance Package. With all the above confusion, can someone help break it down a bit.

My experience in maybe 20 miles with the BMW is that it has lane keep assist and intelligent cruise up to 75 mph. When people talk of a future of true "hands free" driving, is that really hands free or just hands free for up to 30 seconds, that's more how the Tesla was on the motorway. I will say, the X7 at present lights up the yellow lights if your hands are off the wheel for just 3 seconds, that's far more aggressive than Volvo and Tesla.

I will say however, I feel the BMW (again limited experience) is the smoothest system, it really stays centered. I feel the Volvo and even Tesla tend to wander a bit more. Also, the BMW requires literally no steering wheel pressure. The Tesla and Volvo will often say to put hands on wheel or put steering input in if you're just lightly resting on the wheel, the BMW seems to never ask even with the lightest of touch. That said, it doesn't allow you any time of hands free.

I'm unsure if lane changing works via signaling, I felt it did one time, but couldn't tell if it was just a bend in the road and I ultimately took over as I didn't know if it was going to stop.

I'm just trying to understand the differences as it seems the basic functionality works at all speeds. I haven't done traffic jam assist which I assume is a more hands off experience. All that said, when we say "true hands off", can we quantify that? Like Tesla, Volvo still require input at times. GM Super Cruise is hands off, but it uses detectors to ensure your eyes are on the road, so while hands free, it's not like go take a nap or turn around and handle kids in the back for a minute.

I almost didn't order these packages as I've been SO disappointed with these in other cars. Watching the system is often more stressful than just driving. Navigate on Auto in my Tesla would routinely not be able to make the lane changes or would not appropriately measure the close rate of another car and basically cut cars off inducing road rage. My Tesla tried to kill me no less than 5 times by literally making a random turn that would've put me into a wall. With the Tesla, I ended up just using Intelligent Cruise and Lane Keep and would drive it myself.
I think the auto system would scare me as it could make mistakes that could be very dangerous! I think the system can detect the focus of your eyes. So your hands could be free but your eyes have to be focused on the road. At least that's my understanding.
As you stated! We still have to pay full attention anyway. It is very stressful..I mean what if the system slams on the brakes on the freeway...etc. I feel I'm better off driving it myself!
Appreciate 0