Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
X7 Software Version Information Request

After some internet and forum searching I was not able to find what I was looking for so I figured a new thread was a better idea. Two basic questions..

1. What is the software convention for the X7 (which I guess is applicable to all G-series cars). This includes software for the entire vehicle, iDrive software (i.e. new cell phone compatibility updates) and base navigation map software updates. I am assuming these are three separate software updates, with different software version numbers associated with each.

2. What is the latest/most current software for the X7 for each of the categories above?

Regarding my software convention question, from what I can gather, BMW changed this when moving to the G-series models. For the F-series, there were 3 separate types of software updates:

a) The vehicle software, which updates the different ECUs in the car, was called I-Step. This could only be done by the dealer (or advanced DIY'ers)
b) iDrive cell phone compatibility software update, which was downloadable from the BMW USA web site. This merely updated the iDrive to be compatible with the latest cell phones and new cell phone features.
c) Navigation map updates, specifically the base navigation maps. The base navigation maps are usually updated quarterly, and need to be updated by the dealer (or you can purchase the updated base maps from other online vendors). This is not the same as the regional map updates which come periodically via OTA (over the air) updates - assuming the OTA updates are working (which can be sporadic at times)

The latest vehicle software for the X7 that I could find on the forums is 11-2019.55. I believe this is the I-Step (or vehicle software), but I am not sure. Also, I believe the latest base navigation maps that have been released for iDrive 7 is 2019-4, but I have been unable to get confirmation (and I don't know if the base maps are the same for the F and G series cars).

Why am I asking? I am looking to purchase an X7 really soon, potentially from dealer inventory stock. As part of vehicle delivery, I want the X7 to have all software updated, but in particular the latest I-step and the latest base navigation maps. But I want to provide the dealer with the specific software versions, which I can verify in the X7 upon delivery (i.e. trust, but verify they actually did it... ). A typical vehicle software update can take a few hours to complete by the dealer depending on the size of the update (think Windows or Mac OS software update timelines) so providing this info/request ahead of time to the dealer will be more time efficient for delivery purposes.

Thanks!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 03-29-2020 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0