View Single Post
      09-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

- I want to thank BMW for renaming the 5 Series GT to the 6 Series GT, and for renaming the 6 Series coupe/convertible/GC to the 8 Series. These two changes have left 6 Series GT sales very exposed for the last few months (where they'd otherwise be hidden in a sea of 5 Series sedan sales or a somewhat smaller sea of 6 Series coupe/convertible sales), and we can see this month has been no better for the much-maligned vehicle. It is easy to see why it has been marked for removal from the US market.

- Although I am not 100% confident in this, I believe that this is the first month ever where BMW's light truck sales have eclipsed its passenger car sales. In recent months, X vehicle sales (which include the X1 and X2) have eclipsed car sales. But this month light trucks alone have actually outsold all other BMW models combined.

- Mini sales rebounded a little on the back of the Countryman, but the car-heavy lineup is still facing huge challenges in today's market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'd attribute it more to BMW's strongest product offensive in years. Their vehicles are back to being best in segment after falling behind competitors with many of the the F-chassis models.
While I agree that they've regained some of what was lost last generation, I think it is the market shift to SUVs that has put BMW in a really good spot in the US right now. The F generation X lineup was pretty darn competitive, and, had the SUV shift come on stronger, sooner, sales might not have dipped as much as they did during those years. That said, the G generation X lineup is certainly a cut above, and I can appreciate that even as someone with barely a passing interest in a luxury SUV (and scarcely more than that in any SUV at all).
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Germanauto9665.50