View Single Post
      12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

impressions after test driving X3 35i

We will be putting an order in within a month or two…the test drive pretty much cemented that decision. The demo was black sapphire w/ black leather and brushed aluminum, and had the dynamic handling package, Navigation, rearview camera w/ over head view, convenience and cold weather packages.

It looked great in black sapphire - from every angle. It is bigger than the old X3, but still doesn't look as big as the old X5 (it looks smaller than it actually is to me). The interior is a huge upgrade from the old X3…it feels better/looks better than the 2007 e92 335i and e90 335x (my reference for most of the impressions of the X3) It feels significantly roomier inside also. The stereo was the standard BMW unit and it sounded OK, I would have wanted to hear the premium sound system to offer any feedback on the differences (it sounds comparable to the logic 7 in the 3 series, though).

The ride is excellent…didn't feel as firm as the e92's sport suspension or even the 335xi's suspension….even while the X3 was in sport+. There wasn't much of a difference in the X3's ride between normal, sport, and sport+ modes…I could tell a bit of a difference between normal and sport+(it wasn't huge, but I was the freeway for most of the test drive). While the ride may not have changed while in normal or sport, sport+ mode, the engine and transmission definitely change . The throttle response and steering response become much sharper and quicker. The throttle response seems to be better than the 335xi's in sport mode. If the non-dynamic handling X3 feels like the X3 with the dynamic handling in normal mode - you will most definitely want to get the option (dynamic handling - its that much better). The rpms jump a little less than 1000 rpms when sport or sport+ are engaged in the X3 - the 335xi does the same when in sport mode too.

The X3 35i is an effortless highway cruiser - they had the speed warning set at 75 mph and it was going off constantly during the test drive - and I wasn't really trying to get into it. I was in the 20 mpg range for gas mileage on the test drive even with heavy throttle usage One thing I did notice was that while in sport+ the instant gas mileage was 3-4 mpg lower than when in normal mode.

Someone asked about the seats - they seem to be a bit larger than the e90s and e92's sport seats. Similar controls as in the 3 series - and very easy to find a comfortable driving position. The X3 is a huge improvement - do yourself a favor and test drive one…I think anyone in the market for a crossover will come away impressed!