10-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post
I took the aluminum trim options off my table the moment my CA walked me over to an X5 that had just come off lease to show me what had happened to the aluminum trim. It was scarred with irreparable scratches; replacement is the only fix.

FWIW, I'm pairing my black interior with 4KT Anthracite-Brown Poplar Matte Finish Wood Trim. It's featured in this Autogefuhl review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=rTZsiq2nWxA
While it is true that the aluminum trim can be scratched, it really all depends on how well you take care of your stuff. I had the brushed aluminum on my 2008 335i and in 9 years I didn't put a single scratch on any of the trim pieces, except for the one mark on the driver's door panel trim that was made by my CA with his humongous watch the day I picked up my car. GRRRRR. . . .

Our 2013 X3 had the brushed aluminum and in 3 years we didn't put a single scratch in it either.

My '16 X5 has the aluminum hexagon trim and my wife did manage to put a few scratches in it because she was dragging her purses (that had metal feet on them) across the center console panel. She is no longer allowed to drag her purse across the center console

My '17 340i has brushed aluminum (are you sensing a trend here) and I'll see if I can make it 3 years on this one without a single scratch as well.

The plain brushed aluminum does seem to be a bit more scratch resistant than the textured aluminums like the hexagon/tetragons/etc

Bottom line, if you are someone who is careful, you shouldn't have to worry about scratches.
Appreciate 0