View Single Post
      07-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

We ordered and bought a 2020 M50i and I configured it for the spare with all season tires, which were non-RF. We chose these options for a few reasons:

1) we use this car in the snow when we go to our cabin, and having separate summer and winter tires wasn't really something I was interested in, as I don't have a place to store the set not in use, these are giant tire+wheels!

2) to get to our cabin we are going through areas where we have an hour or more of no cellular coverage, so there's a possibility of getting a flat and not being left stranded with no way to call for help

3) when we're at the cabin the nearest BMW dealership is 2 hours away, and we'd have to hope they were a) open and b) had the tire in stock if we had to flat bed the X7 to it

4) the spare tire option needed to be ordered when the car is built, there doesn't seem to be a way to retrofit this easily or cost effectively and the dealer didn't order this car with the spare or the all season tires - most people get the X7 for the sportyness I guess and don't drive it in the cold/rain/snow here in Northern California.

We did a test drive with the sport wheels before we ordered the X7 we now have, and although I think they look better, the all seasons, non-RF tires with spare was the better choice for us. I don't remember there being any noticeable difference in road noise or handling, but I don't really performance drive too much on test drives, it tends to scare the salesperson (yes, I have done this - sales guy in the back seat of aGTR on a test drive with me at the wheel and testing the car's performance is not an enviable position to be in )
Appreciate 0