View Single Post
      03-06-2024, 11:43 AM   #105
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
lmao...so it is ok for states to keep taxing vehicles EVERY TIME they trade hands?

That is the real TAX FRAUD

Is it tax fraud to cross over to Arizona from California to buy gas that is $1.50 a gallon cheaper if you reside in a california town that borders AZ? Or just common sense? It isn't illegal or immoral, it is taking advantage of a loop hole that legally allows it.

I'm not rich, but I'm sick and tired of paying thousands of dollars in sales tax on a car that has already been taxed 2 or 3 times by the time I bought it, only to sell it 2-3 years later for the state to tax it once again....THAT IS THE REAL SCAM

I'm currently debating doing this on a car I'm about to buy from a private party to avoid giving the state $8,000 for a car I will maybe drive 2000 miles a year....If I lived in AZ I wouldn't have to go through any of this, becuse they don't tax used cars that are sold by private party....imagine that?

They already take $10,000 a year from me in property taxes on my house alone.... not to mention the yearly registration fees for my other car registrations and highest gas taxes in the country on top of that....the roads should be paved in gold by how much money they take form regular folks every year.

Until states stop raping people on sales taxes on things like used cars, people will continue to find ways to avoid being raped.
You are richer than most, you own a house, multiple cars, so stop complaining. For every one of you, there are way more people in the same acreage living in apartments. Every state does it a little differently, that tends to benefit certain groups more than others, sometimes it's benefitting fixed incomes better, sometimes multiple property owners, and so on. AZ uses car value-based registration to generate a significant amount of tax revenue (% of new cost for x number of years, depreciating), other states do not. They also have some significant sales taxes, and so on. Everyone always thinks the grass is so green on the other side because they don't tax one particular thing in some other state, whilst ignoring where they make up that revenue. Sure, you might find one that works a little better for your particular situation, but it's not some great travesty when they make up their revenue in different ways. My parents thought Texas was a tax haven...not realizing all the ways that you still get taxed there (which I experience regularly on work trips), ultimately moving to AZ. Certain states can be tax havens for certain people, in certain situations.