View Single Post
      05-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #37
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'll be ordering my X7 with the BMW trailer hitch. Yes, you lose the foot motion control to open the trunk, but I'd find the trailer capability useful. I sometimes tow my Polaris Ranger side-by-side UTV on a small specialty flatbed trailer, to go offroad 4-wheeling.

Personally, I think I'd only order the BMW trailer hitch. When you start getting to advanced SAV vehicles like the X5 and X7, with adaptable air suspension, DHP, IAS, etc, I'd be afraid of messing up something with the suspension or chassis, towing with an aftermarket hitch. (not to mention, your point about the X7 not being on a truck chassis) Now, that's just my own fear--there might be nothing at all special about the BMW hitch, or no problem putting on an aftermarket hitch, but I'm not going to chance it. I can't remember what class the BMW towing hitch is, though.

The X7 is prewired for a brake controller, and has the plug built into the trailer hitch. I wouldn't buy a BMW OEM brake controller, though. They have been using a previous model controller from another company (Prodigy if I remember right) and just slapping a BMW label on it. Might as well buy a new, full-featured current controller model from somebody else.

If anyone does start towing with the X7, I'd love to see your brake controller install, and pics of towing with your rig! Make this an X7 towing thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'll be ordering my X7 with the BMW trailer hitch. Yes, you lose the foot motion control to open the trunk, but I'd find the trailer capability useful. I sometimes tow my Polaris Ranger side-by-side UTV on a small specialty flatbed trailer, to go offroad 4-wheeling.

Personally, I think I'd only order the BMW trailer hitch. When you start getting to advanced SAV vehicles like the X5 and X7, with adaptable air suspension, DHP, IAS, etc, I'd be afraid of messing up something with the suspension or chassis, towing with an aftermarket hitch. (not to mention, your point about the X7 not being on a truck chassis) Now, that's just my own fear--there might be nothing at all special about the BMW hitch, or no problem putting on an aftermarket hitch, but I'm not going to chance it. I can't remember what class the BMW towing hitch is, though.

The X7 is prewired for a brake controller, and has the plug built into the trailer hitch. I wouldn't buy a BMW OEM brake controller, though. They have been using a previous model controller from another company (Prodigy if I remember right) and just slapping a BMW label on it. Might as well buy a new, full-featured current controller model from somebody else.

If anyone does start towing with the X7, I'd love to see your brake controller install, and pics of towing with your rig! Make this an X7 towing thread.
I ordered my X7 with the factory fitted trailer hitch and the foot motion to open the trunk works.
Appreciate 0