Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
Loaded up the 6200 lb dry camper today with weight distribution hitch (WDH) - lowered pretty far, but then air suspension leveled out. I actually need to lower the WDH a notch, actually sits a little higher than my F150 hitch did.

Early driving impressions (10 min non-highway drive)... Pull was fine, braking was fine (using curt echo smart brake controller). My Furrion rear camera on camper doesn't stay on though, keeps flashing on and off - not sure if X7 or Curt Echo Smart issue - need to research.

On bumpy roads, you do feel its back there, but doesn't seem too bad.

I'll report back after 3 hour drive this weekend...
plumcrazy , I am about to adjust my trailer (an open deck car trailer) to fit my X7, specifically the shank height for my WDH system as my previous Ford Expedition was lifted a bit. I went online and found various procedures about how to adjust the shank height, however, none of the ones I found really addressed making adjustments on vehicles with air suspensions like the X7. Based on the adjustment info I could find, the common recommendation seems to be to set the shank height slightly higher than the height of the trailer (and the trailer is supposed to be level with the ground). This is presumably to account for the fact that when the trailer is loaded, the back of the SUV will dip a bit due to the tongue weight of the trailer. If set at the proper height, the SUV and trailer will be level when fully loaded.

I was going to follow this basic methodology when adjusting the shank height on my WDH - but my previous Expedition did not have air suspension. And given your experience with the air suspension of the X7, and the real world load leveling capability you experienced, I was wondering if you had any additional thoughts on this adjustment process.

Thanks!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0