Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 20 G05 40i - Searching

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
In terms of the hierarchy of quality and strength of wheels the list goes from lowest to highest as follows: gravity cast, low-pressure cast, flow form, and forged.

You don't necessarily have to go forged as forged wheels can be costly (3-6 grand depending on the brand). A good choice for you is the Forgestar F14 Flow Form wheel. Flow Form Casting is a production procedure that turns the wheel (or rim section) over a special mandrel and three hydraulic rollers using tremendous pressure. The pressure and turning then force the rim area to form against the mandrel, creating the shape and width of the rim. During Flow Forming, the rim actually "flows" down to create the full rim width. During Flow Forming, pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel.

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.

I don't have a picture of a Black E93 with these wheels but here's a picture of an E90 M3 Sedan with the Forgestar F14 in Gunmetal for you to check out. I think you'll get the idea of how it'll look on your car! I'll shoot you over a PM with more details

- Alan

Are these custom colors painted or powdercoated?
91 E30 325iX - Stolen
Appreciate 0