04-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #28
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post
If you have a typical Starbucks paper cup, the ridge at the bottom of the cup prevents the bottom "floor" of the cup from coming into contact with the heated surface of the cup holder. Yes, the sides heat a bit too but most of the heating and cooling comes from the horizontal surface of the cup holder.
I think this is a key physics point about the function of the heated and cooled cupholders. Coffee cups have that little stiff ridge around the base, so that the bottom is raised off the sitting surface by 1/4". Soda cans have a concave bottom, so that there is also just a ring in contact with the surface. Both will limit the thermal effectiveness of the cupholder, whether heating or cooling.

I don't think plastic bottles are very effective, in transmitting the heating/cooling. So I bought a non-insulated stainless steel bottle, with flat bottom, for this very reason and purpose.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been nervous to actually try it out, though, due to a previous post I remember where someone had a thermal runaway with a bottle in their heated/cooled cupholder, and it has melted the console area.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0