Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Coles
Unfortunately, it's been sitting in my garage, up in the air on blocks since August. I put an awesome Sun Performance Engines Stage II head on it in August. Performance springs, ported & polished, Ferra valves, etc. They build a lot of the Speed TV World Challenge BMW engines. Unfortunately, I had the valves get way to "up-close-and-personal" with the pistons on the back straight at AMP - took out 3 valves and 2 pistons at about 170 km/h :mad: . Just pulled the engine on Saturday and it's now completely disassembled. Not sure if I'll be able to bore it out enough to save the block it looks like it will need more than 0.020" and I've got conflicting reports as to whether one can go +20 or +40 on that block as BMW already bored it out to make it 3.0L and it's actually already +20 over the 3.2L in stock size. I'll find that out later today. Measurements later this week will either confirm my suspicions of what cause the failure or disprove it.
Ouch! I don't know what I'd do if that were me. First of all, I have no where near the expertise nor desire to get my hands dirty fixing my own engine, I'd have to pay someone. Secondly, I guess that rules out the "selling the M3" option, unless you can get a decent return on someone buying it without a functioning engine!

Quote:
Jeff is correct that they don't do anything much in the way of bodywork/cosmetics outside of trim work etc. So it might be something that's outside their comfort zone. Kelvin's work is good, as is Andy Hill's (Coachworks). Kelvin used to run the body shop at Chapman Motors (now Halifax Volvo/Jaguar/Land Rover/Porsche) back when Halifax BMW was housed in the same facilities. Because of that he was doing all the BMW work as well. When he broke that end of the business out as a separate company he kept the name and the relationships with the dealers.

I've seen the work they've done on replacing the entire front ends on a 540 and a new 6 series Coupe that had less that 12k on IIRC, when the owner tore half the front end off it. Their work is good.

Regards, Alan
It's not even that involved, I could probably do it myself. From what I've read here on the forum, the spoiler isn't sitting flush with the trunk because Halifax Autosport used a couple of screws to help secure the spoiler. Everyone here says that it goes on without needing screws, just some Betalink. So, I wonder how much work it would be for me to remove it, plug the holes, and re-mount with just some Betalink.

You guys have any suggestions?