07-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens21234 View Post
Tough to declare if their methodology is actually accurate as you state. Bench marking it against other cars (aston martin marketing) with the presumption of no over/under estimate introduces further uncertainty.
A fair criticism. But I did say further evidence, not concrete proof...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens21234 View Post
Most analysis software you've cited does curve fitting to empirical results - a common initial approach to more rigorous modeling in academia. It would be more interesting if we had dynamic finite element analysis to simulate dynos using sound mechanical engineering theory.
Inaccurate. The simulation software I've used in many other threads is based entirely on 1st principles in physics and engineering. Yes, it helps to tweak some difficult to measure or quantify parameters with test results but that is Engineering 101. This isn't the theory of relativity (hmmm well I guess that has one gigantic largely unknown fact - the cosmological constant...)

Also, for most of these simulation a kinematic rigid model would suffice over a more difficult to construct finite element model. Either way I'm not sure such a model could solver this problem definitively, just way too many unknowns. I have access to a full complement of these tools as this is my profession.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 07-26-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0