Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I bought an electric motorcycle

Zero FXS

293 lbs wet
47 hp
40-50 miles highway, 80 miles city
Full specs

Why did I buy a overpriced bike with limited range? Basically, it's awesome. Silent, great powerband, no clutch or gearbox to mess with. In other words you can do all the usual supermoto hooligan stuff but with the distinct advantage that nobody cares because you aren't making any noise. The bike will power wheelie but not as well as some of my homemade electric bicycles. Stock it has a belt drive which I really like due to lack of noise and because there is no maintenance except replacement. Unfortunately it doesn't handle jumps or debris as well as a chain so I will be replacing the belt with a chain for offroad riding and jumps in the city.

Range isn't a problem since most of my rides are short. Battery lasts for several hours at slow speeds offroad.

One note on the noise and safety: some ignorant people think a constant earsplitting exhaust noise (along with rider-fatiguing vibration) makes you safe. There are a lot of reasons why motorists may not respond to loud pipes in the first place, making them not dependable: for example, loud music, deafness, driver doesn't understand where the bike is, bike not as audible as you think, driver hears you but is distracted by something else, etc. Plus the constant assault on your own senses screws up your focus. This is easiest to appreciate on a bike with no noise or vibration other than the road and wind. You're free to pay full attention to enjoying riding, nature, and staying away from cars.

There is a similar school of thought about loud exhaust being necessary to enjoy motorcycles. You'll probably have to ride electric yourself to truly understand, but basically the riding is the important part and the exhaust not being there is actually a plus. If you want to make really loud noises you're doing it wrong with piston engines anyway. Try competition audio, rocketry, guns, pulsejets and jets, concerts, or just some Beethoven.

Anyone else own or have interest in a electric motorcycle?

Last edited by The Wind Breezes; 03-01-2019 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 10
overcoil3073.50
obert1781.00
LaGSa12.50
Red Bread4463.00
roastbeef11586.00
David701567.00
Fakemike368.50
catcher22294.00