05-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #92
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
"Expressive presence: each detail of the new BMW ALPINA XB7's design conveys dynamic luxury. The powerful appearance is accentuated by a modern design language, elegant details and precise contours that draw attention to its generous dimensions."

The last part of this, along with 'Generous dimensions' make this sound like a Lane Bryant ad.

It's an obese SUV that also happens to be luxurious.
Interesting that you point that out because Alpina, historically speaking, has always been that other "under the radar" BMWs performance arm purveyor of elegant, sophisticated and smooth luxury sedan built with the most refined performance edge when demanded from it.

Typically, I'd like to think of Alpina as the anti-thesis of ///M cars where loud, ultra fast, ultra high HP and look at me personality are the order of the day.

For me personally, I would pick a B5 sedan over a M5 all things considered. Unfortunately and sadly the B5 sedan and touring are not sold in North America.

Here is a Jeremy Clarkson's "Grand Tour" video comparing both the F90 M5 and G30 based Alpina B5:

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0