View Single Post
      12-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #202
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Even so... while colloquially... many people may call a convertible, a CAR... indeed... the name convertible still applies. When searching on a web site.. convertibles are often still listed separately.
Right, because a convertible is a subcategory of car.

Quote:
"The only way you'll go wrong is by using the term "crossover" to define a body-on-frame SUV. Examples of such vehicles include the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition and Mercedes G-Class. Those are all still SUVs in the original sense of the term -- and in those cases, "crossover" doesn't apply."
Exactly. And the reason for this is that "crossover" has become a subcategory of SUV, just as "body-on-frame SUV" is. So any crossover can properly be called an SUV, just as I said and as the article also makes clear.

Therefore, getting back to the original post that sparked the debate (a very old post at that, as kozzi points out), the X7 can indeed properly be called an SUV (though, as noted previously, BMW doesn't even do that - only Jason, the author of the text in the post did, and he did so appropriately).

Quote:
As a matter of fact, if you go back to my original post, you will see that I had edited it for clarity and the examples I used are the same ..
Great! Glad the we can finally end the debate and move on.
Appreciate 0