Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Not sure I truly understand your post. I'm not completely disagreeing with you but the reason why there are 7 SUV's is because there is nothing else BMW could realistically do to distribute costs while still making a profit. A stronger argument could be made that without those 7 SUV's, BMW would be in far worst shape.

As for BMW and Mercedes making worse cars, that I 100% disagree. Worse for who? Maybe for you but without focusing on one thing or aspect, the F3X, overall, was better than the E9X and the G20 looks to be better than the F3X. As for Mercedes, their line up has been as good as I could remember. BMW might make "worse" cars for the "enthusiast" (depending on who you ask), but the enthusiast doesn't pay the bills.

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to get tired of this "enthusiast" argument. Not directing that at you, but in general. If you go search dealer inventory, tell me how many F3X 40i are still on the lot and then try to find out how many "enthusiasts" are getting a G20 330i instead.
Well, having been around the BMW brand since the late 1970s, through the 1980s YUPPIES era, the steady state 1990s, and into the 2000s, I can say, for the 3 -Series, the F3X marked a change in the BMW brand. The F30 lost "Benchmark" status. BMW left its DNA out of the chassis. To us enthusiasts, a sport sedan has great handling and chassis dynamics along with 3 pedals. The G20 doesn't offer a manual. BMW has ALWAYS offered a manual transmission in the 3-Series. The company is very profitable, it could easily afford a manual offering with both the 6 cylinder and the 4 cylinder. There is no reason for BMW to forget its enthusiast base while it caters to soccer mom's. Every other manufacturer makes a 4-cylinder automatic. BMW used to be different. While most buyers wouldn't know a straight-six from a V6, the people from whom BMW earned its reputation (and why most people covet the Roundel), deserve a non-M sport sedan offering from BMW.
That maybe it, but so called enthusiasts are part of an immense minority of buyers and they seem to only exist in internet message boards as this one.

That ship sailed a long time ago. BMW builds vehicles where there is market demand. People want smooth ride, gizmos galore, flaccid steering, etc, etc and that is exactly what they are delivering.

The enthusiast has to step to a more expensive model or a M-Car.

As much as some here long for the days of manual transmissions, hydraulic power steering, station wagons, interiors fitted with the bare necessities for driving, those days are gone. Market realities today are vastly different of what they were 20 years ago. The concept of automobile ownership and user interaction is drastically changing. Mobility in the next 20-30 years could possible be mostly automation and likely will not have to own cars anymore. Heck even younger generations are not as vested into car ownership as us old timers did back in our day.

Look how the Cadillac ATS flopped in the marketplace. By all accounts it was the perfect enthusiast tuned and oriented sports sedan. Small, balanced, RWD, manual transmission.... no one cared!! GM will axe it if it hasn't already.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0