03-13-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

[DIY] Air vent silver tabs template

These are the final bits of silver in my car that I NEEDED rid of

Everything else has been painted a dark grey and 2k lacquered to make them wear resistant, from the iDrive remote, glovebox handle/lock, ac radio dials, start button surround and steering wheel control packs.. they're all de-chromed/silvered

Anyway whilst looking for photos to trace online I came across a few people appearing to have peeling tabs. Not sure how as they're actually aluminium inserts wedged between the plastic, I can only guess people have tried prying them off which you can't FTR. I did plan on painting mine but in the end opted for alcantara to make them soft to the touch.

FYI I was only using the red vinyl for testing, that's not how I left them haha.

Thought I'd make the template available which I used.

The little kick out on the bottom edges of the red half are important, you need these to fill out the space as it folds.

If you have a vinyl plotter you'll be able to cut these to the specs below:

2.5cm x 0.68cm was for the front vents, 2.3cm x 0.69cm was for the rear vents on an F32. The front should translate correctly, however I don't have any knowledge for the other cars so you may have to resize it slightly.

FYI if you're using a laser cutter you may need to experiment with slight oversizing, the diode will take up some space shrinking the actual shape.

Last edited by fortythirtyfive; 03-13-2024 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 1