06-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
This might be helpful, from blog.tirerack.com

Many BMW owners are opting to replace their factory run-flat tires with conventional non-run-flat tires. One can literally find hundreds of posts across popular BMW forums filled with disapproval of the Original Equipment run-flat tires. Many customers have complained that the tire is either too stiff, gets too many bubbles or wears out too quickly.

While it seems that some drivers are happy with their switch to non-run-flat tires, not everyone is in the majority. Be sure to study the trade-offs, as well as some of the alternatives you may not have considered.

Since many have tested only one or two models of run-flat tires and assume all run-flats have the same problems, it's important to remember not all run-flat tires are created equal. Did you know there are newer generations of run-flat tires available today that eclipse the older technology? One shining example is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP which is praised in forums as an improvement over older run-flat models in regards to ride comfort, wet and dry grip, as well as treadwear. Another example is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT, which is an outstanding all-season run-flat tire.

Run-flat tires do not wear out faster. Comparing the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 against the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (run-flat model), both tires have the same rubber compound, same dry and wet grip and same treadwear. The PS2 ZP is an outstanding run-flat tire. Take a look at this review of the tire from a 2007 BMW 335i owner:

"Took the car out for a long drive, mostly back roads and some interstate to take advantage of our 80 degree day. This tire will take all of your preconceived notions regarding the harshness and ride of RFT and throw them out the window. I still cannot get over how smooth the ride is. This car now rides smoother than it did with non-run-flat all-seasons that just came off. Also, this is one very quiet tire.

As far as the handling, sticks like glue! The steering response and on-center feel is exceptional. While I think the Bridgestones had a slightly (very slightly) quicker turn-in, the PS2 ZP does not have the 'nervousness' that was associated with the Bridgestone that required those constant steering inputs. Bottom line, for those of you like me who did not prefer the original Bridgestones, but still want RFT capability for whatever reason, your prayers have been answered by Michelin." -- Tire Rack Consumer Review, 2007 BMW 335i

Before you jump on the anti-run-flat bandwagon, consider your available alternatives and understand the trade-offs. Check out our Tire Survey Results to help you make your final decision.
Appreciate 0