Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
One of the most grotesque "BMWs" ever created…if we can even call it a BMW beyond the badge. This looks like it was created by people who hate what BMW has been since the 80's. Design wise it's yet another departure from the classic and refined designs of the past. What I'd really like to know is what the G80 crowd and those who like the bigger grille think of this. Is this where you want BMW to go? Is this the new design territory you want BMW to explore? Is it bold and new and something that will grow on people, or has this gone too far? Curious to hear your thoughts.
G80 is an amazing machine and this thing is garbage. Both can be true. The G80 is the #1 selling //M of all time. And it has nothing to do with the total sales price. That's actually individual units delivered. Even with the pandemic muddying up production. It's a SMASHING success and immediately makes the F80 look dated.

Also, the moment you start mentioning 80s blah blah blah your opinion becomes immediately suspect. Bro, the e30 was cool. We get it. The Countach was cool too. But it's time to take the posters down from your wall and move on. We don't want to hear about the 5 feet of snow you had to walk through to get to school.....or how Dunkin used to be called Dunkin Donuts and their donuts were a lot bigger.

We all either lived through it or have access to the internet. Criticize this direction all you want but the majority of us don't want another e30. That's going backwards.
I don't want to go back to the 80's, I'm just saying the design language that carried through to the F80 and to several BMWs being made today, was broken with the G80. Which is fine, and I don't disagree that the G80 is an amazing car in terms of performance, but the design language that resulted in this piece of garbage, as you correctly term it, came through the G80. I was just wondering how the G80 fan would respond to this continued direction. You obviously don't like the XM, which is interesting since it is the same design language for the G80.

Another thing to consider is this has nothing to do with age or wanting to go back to the past. It's about what is BMW design and what isn't. This new design isn't BMW. It isn't about wanting another e30, it's about wanting BMW to be true to themselves.

Also, sales have nothing to do with the success of an iconic car and design. By that measure most any car on the road is a smashing success, but I doubt that's the type of success any of us want for an M car. We want a car that people aspire to, that will still inspire and be admired 30 years from now. That's true success. Instead of taking the posters off our walls we should learn from them and build on those designs, not throw them away like todays BMW design team has done.

I'm all for new and positive change to move on to. As a BMW fan for decades, I just don't want to move to a car that looks like a rhino with a pig's nose.
Appreciate 2
icebiker504.00