05-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #79
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
I don't want to go back to the 80's, I'm just saying the design language that carried through to the F80 and to several BMWs being made today, was broken with the G80. Which is fine, and I don't disagree that the G80 is an amazing car in terms of performance, but the design language that resulted in this piece of garbage, as you correctly term it, came through the G80. I was just wondering how the G80 fan would respond to this continued direction. You obviously don't like the XM, which is interesting since it is the same design language for the G80.

Another thing to consider is this has nothing to do with age or wanting to go back to the past. It's about what is BMW design and what isn't. This new design isn't BMW. It isn't about wanting another e30, it's about wanting BMW to be true to themselves.

Also, sales have nothing to do with the success of an iconic car and design. By that measure most any car on the road is a smashing success, but I doubt that's the type of success any of us want for an M car. We want a car that people aspire to, that will still inspire and be admired 30 years from now. That's true success. Instead of taking the posters off our walls we should learn from them and build on those designs, not throw them away like todays BMW design team has done.

I'm all for new and positive change to move on to. As a BMW fan for decades. I just don't want to move to a car that looks like a rhino with a pig's nose.
"It's about what is BMW design and what isn't." - The thing is, BMW is the one who makes this call.

And some customers will agree, and others will disagree. I say bring it on. I've loved all my other BMWs but most look dated now when you look at what else is out there. The new design direction is spot on for the times and where we're heading.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231298.50