evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
they're more than difficult to come by... I don't want one badly enough to order it without driving it... driving an m235i and 228i MSport back to back today was fun. extra pop in the m235i is nice and probably the one I'd go with but I will have to see when the m2 is coming and see if I'll just get one of those ... so much more aggressive looking from what I've seen
I was on the same situation you are; read and watched all the reviews and was ready to jump on the Golf R but ultimately decided on the m235i RWD due to my preference for RWD and availability of a LSD. I was able to drive the GTI which is as close as I could get to the R last December and it was IMHO the best handling FWD car I have ever driven.... so my thinking was WOW.. the R would be so much better.
I'm planning on driving a GTI next weekend. the Golf R seems better than the GTI but I don't think the value is quite there over the GTI from what I've read but no seat time myself. staying in a BMW for similar money is tempting. after driving the 228i and m235i back to back I think I would go m235i if I had to choose today. that extra power is nice on track, but especially nice on the street where it seems like I would always be romping on the 228i to get a sporty drive out of it whereas the m235i doesn't need to be hammered as hard to get going at a decent clip (even merging/passing etc)

Appreciate 0