View Single Post
      11-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhalo View Post
I think what BMW chose was quick spool. They wanted a turbocharged engine that did not feel turbocharged (very little lag). Thats why the turbos are so tiny. Of course, tiny turbos means you cant flow a lot of air (there is a huge difference between 18psi on stock turbos, and 18psi on a larger turbo--air density). Sure, tuners can get more boost out of them, but BMW has two things to consider with the boost level. One is the wear on the turbos, and two... probably the most important.... is the 4.0L V8 in the M3.

I wouldnt be worried about the block and internals at all with the stock turbos.
Thanks for your input!! .. my past dealings with forced induction was on my 04 cobra (supercharged) and my current mazdaspeed 6 (turbocharged). The mazda too has a tiny turbo (only 1 though) but I see around 15psi or over 1 bar .. I thought I read where this is only .4 bar which would be about 6psi if I am correct and that is where I was thinking it seemed fairly low .. (is that .4 per turbo and .8 total??)

You make some very good points though in regards to this statement : "One is the wear on the turbos, and two... probably the most important.... is the 4.0L V8 in the M3."

Thanks,
Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0