View Single Post
      04-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

In our recent cars (Audis, Land Rover) a clean install was made very easy by a simple mirrortap solution that you could order from places like amazon. For those that don’t know, mirrortap is a short-run cable with a power connection at one end for various 12-volt radar and dashcam applications and on the other end a couple of small spade terminations for “tapping” into the existing wiring harness connector on the overhead console (where the sunroof, telematics, and overhead lighting controls are). The mirrortap packages have an inline fuse built-in for safety and for low-power applications like radar detectors and dashcams, they are perfect. The only bit of knowledge needed is where the ground and accessory-power slots are in your specific car’s harness and of course how to safely remove the overhead console cover to get to it.

For my last 3 Audis and current Range Rover Velar, this was shockingly similar and easy to do. I currently have Blackvue dashcams installed via mirrortap on all my cars, and have made detailed DIY posts with pictures on both the Audi and Range Rover forums for all the cars I’ve done it on. I suspect any BMW will be just as easy, though I don’t have an X7 yet to try doing it to. Once I do, I will surely post a DIY here as well, but I suspect someone will beat me to it since I don’t expect an X7 until fall at the earliest.
Wild Blue3683.50
JDBrown62.50
edikam6.00