View Single Post
      04-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #25
Hoosbest
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
That is the "standard" response from most SA's at dealers. Some dealers may go so far to say that updating the software can possibly hurt the car, damaging ECUs and they won't do it unless there is a verifiable problem. That last excuse is "partial BS". While it is true that 90's era and older BMWs had ECUs that were prone to failure when conducting firmware updates, that is not the case today. The electronic modules/ECUs in modern BMWs are just as robust as a typical cell phone or computer and can be updated fairly quickly without danger of damage. The BMW update process is analogous to plugging in your iPhone to your computer, opening up iTunes, then downloading and updating your phone.

However, if you complain "enough" about iDrive and/or cell phone connectivity and performance issues, even if the dealer can't reproduce the issue, many times their easiest recourse to solve the issue is to upgrade the software. After all, they do want to keep their customers happy and updating the software is literally a plug in, point and click. As an example, I had an issue where the maps were not updating properly on my M3, which was very difficult if not impossible to reproduce. All I thought they were going to do was update the maps manually, but they also updated the car's software (also called I-Step) as well. YMMV of course...

Having a good relationship with your SA also helps with stuff like this...
Agree. Very disappointing on a customer service side. First time that has happened in all the years going to the same dealer and used the same logic above with them. Why put a remote software update on the Connected Drive app and not enable it and then have your dealer say we won't update it either. Service levels going downhill across the board.
Appreciate 1