nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
About sums it up for me as well.

I'd prefer a good low-mileage E90 M3 over an F80, and the 1M over the M2. I'm tired of losing money hand over fist on cars, I'd rather get something that's at the bottom of its depreciation curve, or a future classic.

If I didn't go for the the M I'd have probably bought an E90 M3, 996 Turbo or 997 S.
champignon View Post
I wouldn't buy any current production BMW. Any of the current production cars and those soon to be in production will emphasize ever more modern technology with its innate disconnectedness from the driver, with better observable metrics such as power, speed, and fuel consumption. Since this automobile company and most others have ditched driving pleasure (other than enjoyment of brute force and speed) as one of their "metrics," you can be sure that all the cars they sell in the future will follow this trend to the extent possible. That makes all of these "modern cars" less desirable as soon as successor vehicles are offered, basically the BMW blueprint for making their cars depreciate at breakneck speed. From the standpoint of a vehicle manufacturer making expensive luxury vehicles for affluent or wannabee affluent people, this is a very good place to be.

If I were looking for another car, I'd be looking at a used one that is modern enough to be safe, has enough creature comforts to satisfy me (or can be modded to have them such as by changing the head unit) and that had low enough mileage and was in good enough shape that it could be considered to be a long term keeper.

You will always be able to buy a powerful car with luxury features and numb electric power steering, as this is the future for all the luxury car brands, not just BMW.

I agree with most of these points as well. If I dint have 1M I would consider M2 or M3 but not with same desire of previous BMWs.
Appreciate 0