View Single Post
      10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMisanthrope View Post
For folks who've driven the X7 in both 40i and M50i guise, I'd love your thoughts or observations on the differences in the driving experience. My current lease is up in a few months and I'll be ordering an X7, but I'm still undecided on whether to go with the 40i or the M50i.

Day to day, I don't drive much, since I work from a home office. But I'm a huge fan of long road trips, and I want something that's roomy, quiet, has a comfortable ride, and has plenty of power for mountain travel and for passing on highways.

Obviously the M50i has the "plenty of power" box ticked, but as a result, is it noticeably louder at regular cruising speeds than the 40i? There was an article in, I believe, Car and Driver that showed the 40i and 50i having the same (very low) interior noise level, but I'm wondering if the M50i has a different exhaust that intrudes into the cabin more than the other two?

As far as the ride goes, is the M50i's ride any less comfortable than the 40i's (perhaps due to differences in suspension tuning)?

I'm fine with the price difference and I'm currently leaning towards the M50i for the grin factor and (if I'm being honest) because those blue insets in the Laserlight headlights look very cool. But if the M50i is noticeably louder or rougher-riding than the 40i (on highway travel in particular), then I'd have to re-evaluate.

Just hoping to get a sense of the difference from anyone who's maybe experienced both. Thanks.

Edit: Just for clarification, I'm not considering the regular 50i, because I want the look of the M Sport package which is no longer available on the 50i.
I have driven all of them 40i, 50i and M50i and I own the M50i

The ride comfort or noise level inside is technically the same unless you push the throttle and the you hear more the V8, you can select in I Drive the noise of the exhaust I never tried to change but I think you can select low noise at all instances, I have selected as noise based on driving mode.

When it comes for passing I say M50i is the thing that makes you smile it is flying, and does not matter what speed you start with, sure all comes at cost of fuel consumption but on the long distance is not bad with 80mph goes around 23mpg or so driving on comfort mode

Do not get me wrong 40i is quite impressive on acceleration however M50i is another Category. I had Maserati Ghibli and I have to say the X7 M50i accelerated faster and is amazing how glued is to the road on corners it makes you wonder how it is possible.

If you looking for excuse to have fun while with family M50i is the one.
Appreciate 1