Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
That's why you call AAA or BMW to come change it for you.

What is your wife going to do when the side wall on the run flat gets punctured and she can't drive on the run flat? With no spare tire she would be stranded.

If I were forced to drive on run flats I would make sure I had a spare tire.
I hit a pothole hard and split the sidewall end to end on a runflat with my 4 series, it was still driveable. I happened to have the wheel and tire protection package on that car, so I gave BMW roadside a call since I didn't feel it would be driveable with how bad it was and let them make the call (I could hear it flapping while driving). They told me to continue on since it was 10PM and 20 degrees out, I went on side roads with the window cracked to hear if it got worse and didn't go over 35, but had to travel a good 15 miles to drop it off at the dealer and experienced no additional issues.

I probably wouldn't go as far with a tire that bad in a car as heavy as the X7, but would feel comfortable getting off a highway into a safe area, have that fancy mobility kit/fix-a-flat just in case.

Also FWIW, I have non-rft on my M3 and also no spare. Living on the edge, I wouldn't let the fix-a-flat touch those wheels either.
Appreciate 0