View Single Post
      10-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Eugene, first off, I love what you've done with your car. Top to bottom, it is first class.

Second, you'll notice that a lot of the stiffness and extra effort will go away after a couple hundred miles as the SSK breaks in. Then you'll really love it. Most of the notchiness that you feel will remain, however, because that is just how the Getrag transmission itself is. Changing the shifter won't improve the transmission.

Third, I do have to disagree with you about the UUC. The UUC SSK an excellent product without their DSSR. I'm not a big fan of the DSSR, but the SSK by itself is perfect IMO.

That said, either way you go (UUC or RE), you'll be much happier than with the stock shifter. IMO, every M3 owner should get an SSK and a shorter, heavier shift knob like the BMW Performance knob or the BMW E46 ZHP knob. The SSK will shorten the throws and make engagement much more positive and crisp. The heavier knob will smooth out some of the notchiness and will make the shifter feel much more solid. This combo is a radical improvement over the stock shifter feel.