06-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #22
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
Thrust arm bushing cause this in some cases. You can usually tell by looking at them. There will be black fluid that looks like oil leaking. Or if you are driving slowly and you jab the brakes your front wheel will move back and forth in the wheel well. Other symptoms are steering shimmy in the 50-60 mph range and steering shaking when braking lightly at higher speeds.

Mine went at like 66k. So its a common item for this suspension design.

Other than that, check if it happens without the spacers. Check for bent wheels (although i'd wager they would have caught them when balancing the tires if that was the case).
I am dealing with a slight shimmy and humming issue right now between 50 and 70mph. I have new wheels/tires/pads/rotors all within the last 6 months and the hum was there before but I had always assumed it was due to the bent front stock wheel I had...replacing the wheel didn't resolve it though.

I took a long ride with a trusted BMW tech from my local dealer and while he wasn't 100% sure he was thinking its my right front wheel bearing based on where he and I assume the hum is coming from and based on the fact that the right front wheel was the bent one. So whatever caused that bend (before I owned the car) could have potentially f'd up the bearing/hub.

He and I have both looked at the bushings and all of them look, visually, to be in good shape, no leaks or cracks. But do you think it's possible they're just starting to wear and that's what's causing it?