View Single Post
      08-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterStroodle View Post
Thank you for your reply! I'll take a look at and monitor the pricing thread! With regards to the tires, we have a GLE that we have running performance summer tires all year round without issue, but, nonetheless, I'll definitely make sure to have another set of wheels and tires for the colder seasons this time round!
Not to make this a tire thread at all, but you can drive under conservative conditions with potentially no discernible difference. However, and its a big one, when you get below 45 the rubber compound becomes an inflexible plastic with drastically reduced traction characteristics. As such, your stopping distance can rise considerably and worst case you can more easily lose control making an aggressive evasive maneuver. So, in absence of this need you may not notice, but this car is heavy and for us it’s the safety (including accident avoidance abilities) that were the greatest factor in buying a new X7. Just wanted to add this for anyone considering driving on summer rubber in cool temps. My wife would be furious if I had her on poor control tires during part of the year.

It’s also true that summer tires perform better in hot conditions than all seasons, BUT the difference isn’t anywhere near as drastic as it it when that soft compound changes characteristics in cool temps.
Appreciate 0