View Single Post
      05-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanio View Post
Wanted to see if anyone has done a transmission swap with a ZF8HP70 on their F30 335.

As tuners begin go push the cars further and further into the 550+ wtq range. Transmission issues are inevitable.

I am aware that couple of people are pushing close to those toque numbers (maybe surpass them) and have no issues (yet) but they also don't beat their cars on a track events, where cars are running more than 20+ min non-stop. The tranny would not fare well with the heat and the stress on a consistent basis...it may be good for single pulls but a constant hard driving on a track...it would not end well.

Before we start breaking parts on the HP45 ...I was wondering if anyone has come up with upgraded hardware for those transmissions and if anyone has swapped the transmission from the F30 Activehybrid 3 or the F30 335d, which is ZF8HP70(holds around 35% more torque than the hp45), onto the F30 335 ?

I know that couple of companies are coming out with a flash tune for the transmission later on this year...but so far I am unaware if anyone has any hardware upgrades. This seems strange because the ZF 8HP45 is such a common transmission not only in BMW models....

I would appreciate your input and info.

Thanks
I don't believe anyone has yet.

But if your application is track use to include 20+ minute sessions and you want maximum reliablity, you're going down the wrong path. A Frankenstein 335i with over 550+ wtq is not likely to be more reliable than a F80/82 M3/M4 ZCP for track use where heat is a concern.

Cost wise, it doesn't make sense either. A rebuilt ZF 8HP70 is anywhere from $7000-10,000. You'll need custom tuning, fabrication work, and support to get this up and running. I think you're looking at spending $15,000 just to get this working.

Now you factor in the time cost and opportunity cost of spending time at a track weekend fixing/diagnosing issues with this Frankenstein build - you have to be comfortable that there's a good chance you're essentially forfeiting the entire cost/entry fee of a track weekend because this setup is not going to be reliable.

Also, if you ever think about reselling this car - be prepared to for the car to be worth far less than the sum of its parts. No one in their right mind would ever buy a patchwork piece of shit.

The bottom line is that it's not worth it. If your use case is tracking it at HPDEs, you're much better off spending your money up front on a M3/M4.

Last edited by Polo08816; 05-03-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 3
Stanio67.00
F32Fleet3629.00