07-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #22
jc9elfer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BSM M2, 08 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I've never driven a GT3RS, but I did ride in one for 8 laps at AAA California Speedway. It was by far, the fastest, quickest, best braking car I've ever been in. As impressive as the acceleration was, the grip (which I could feel from the passenger seat because I was glued to the side bolsters though the turns) was unbelievable. The braking felt like we pulled a parachute and deployed an air brake! It was crazy. But to stay on topic, the PDK was magical. It ripped off perfect upshifts and perfect downshifts, all without ANY input from the driver. He never touched the console mounted shifter, nor did he use the steering wheel mounted paddles. As I watched him drive and marveled at the performance of the car, I couldn't help but think that he was being "robbed" of some of the experience. I kept thinking how awesome it would be if HE were shifting the car the way the computer was. Yes, I understand the computer does it better. I witnessed it first hand, it was amazing. But it couldn't be more fun than trying in out for yourself. When I got out of the car I thought to myself, "I'm getting a GT3 asap, but It's going to be a 997 with a 6MT. Yes the 991 is "better" in every way, except in ultimate fun.
I drive a 2008 911/997, crazy fun at Mosport. I have been a passenger in 2 different Porsche Turbos....when the driver is good (he was a professional Porsche Cup driver in his younger days), it is an amazing ride. The late breaking capability on a street car is surprising. He has PDK and says he never uses it because the computer is way faster/better.
Appreciate 0