Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Well, before I hit 30, I decided it would be a good idea (not the best idea) to try out for a Semi Pro Football Team in my area. on the team now after a lackluster tryout, but good football awareness and I need to start training so I dont look like the old guy out there.

Im 5-9, 195lbs. Background on me is I have been weight training for years, with little cardio, and have gotten very stiff (Back, Knees, Hips) and have lost all explosiveness I had back in the day. Recently started running everyday, ~1-2miles depending on how cold it is, as well as doing 30minutes - 1hr on a stationary bike and doing about 15-20 minutes of core exercises. Do roughly 1.5-2hrs of working out a day.

Weekly Routine is
1 Day Chest/Arms - Regular, Incline, Decline Bench 5x5, Close Dumbell Regular/Incline, Flys, Tris, Bis
1 Day Back - Deadlift 5x5, Rows, Pull Downs, Reverse Flys
1 Day Shoulders/Arms - Dumbell Overhead, Arnold Press, "Circuit" with 4 lifts x5 for 4 sets with 60 seconds rest, tris, bis
1 Day Legs - Squats 8x5, Leg Press 5x5
1 Day Chest/Shoulders/Arms - Regular, Incline, Overhead press, Tris, Bis
Weekends are either all cardio or half cardio/half core. Ill do some sprints and agility drills as well.

My question is, what are other guys doing for more of an athletic training vs strength/size training? More Olympic Lifting? Crossfit?

Ive read and researched several routines that I may start trying, but if someone has some good experience, Id rather start with that vs jumping in blindly till I find something that works.
You definitely want to keep up with the lifting, and not substitute HIIT for lifting.

1. HIIT can be very hard on your body, specifically your joints. It's worse as you age. 1-2 HIIT workouts per week are fine. If you're carrying a decent amount of mass >30 years old, and you have a large volume of other training (cardio + lifting), you can start doing damage if you're not careful.

2. Lifting is good because it allows you to target specific weak areas in order to maintain muscle balance. As you age past 25, muscles you use less often get weaker due to atrophy. If you don't target those muscles, you'll eventually have a muscle imbalance that leaves you prone to injury. You need a very specific routine to identify and target weak areas before they cause an injury. IMHO, age is less of a factor than muscle imbalance caused by years of doing the same exercises that don't hit all the muscle groups from various angles.

3. Read The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger. While it's focused more on winning bodybuilding competitions, the diet and exercise knowledge can be applied to any sport.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0