View Single Post
      06-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Thoughts on our new 2014 550i

Finally have put enough miles on the new Bimmer with variable driving conditions, including a couple of 6 hour trips, to comment.

Perhaps the most critical thought for all of us is what we want from the car - are our expectations in line with the design / physics of the 550i.

For me - this is an executive sedan - handling high speed, variable road terrain, often with traffic bouncing around you, is key. Reasonable steering and suspension precision, road feedback, power, refinement, technology and appointments were my interests. The ability to move rapidly from 40 mph to 85 mph (or whatever) is very important. You can do what you want to do with less chance of creating a road rage incident due to forcing a move too close. Excellent road feel but with an emphasis on arriving relaxed. I've owned a 3 series with ZHP suspension as well as an M5 (not to forget several 3 series, 5 series and two 7 series). They were exhilarating to drive but I rarely pushed them to their handling limits that often and a 5 hour run with the ZHP suspension had you a bit tired on arrival. There is zero interest in drifting, zero to 60 tire smoking runs, blasting out of or diving into highway ramps. However, I do enjoy some short duration, aggressive runs in the canyons or along PCH near Big Sur - so it is not just about interstate runs.

So, how does our new Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown, 550i base model with Executive Package, adaptive full LED headlamps, sunshades, ACC Stop and Go + Active Driving Assistant fare?

Overall - a big smile from ear to ear

The power is breathtaking and I've not really pushed it yet due to break in miles.

The steering is different but very good - I suspect it will be better when I replace the run flats with some appropriate tires. Comfort and sport settings get the job done wonderfully in the real world driving conditions on the 405 and I5 runs as well as the Sport+ in the canyons.

Fit and finish are outstanding, as are the LED headlamps. I'll probably code them to the European function. The ACC Stop and Go / Lane Departure are outstanding, as is the HUD. My initial thoughts on those options were so - so. Now they are must haves, as are the soft close doors / power tailgate. You really don't need them but you want them after experiencing them

Oh, and that "gimmicky" ceramic controls option (as part of the Executive Package) - really a nice touch of elegance.

The Harman Kardon upgrade is significantly better than the base audio package, plenty good for my expectations (I run a very high end CLASSE system in our house - so my expectations were up there).

Complaints - junk Goodyear LS2 run flats and clunky looking wheels - to be resolved shortly :-)

Peace....

Last edited by Apple Corps; 06-29-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0