View Single Post
      12-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
So, thread resurrection time. I installed a VSRF downpipe today, it was not a 2-3 hour job (mostly due to figuring it out on my own without a full write up with pictures for an E84 X1 xDrive35i). For an IT guy I can mechanic on most anything. I may try to do one, as I took pictures and tried to make note of all the tools I used. It took me about 5-6 hours, partly because I had to work on my back with jackstands instead of a lift.

First, holy cow there is virtually no room to work on our cars where the stock downpipe is - I have long, skinny fingers and relatively large hands so I got to play contortionist to reach some areas.

2nd, there was absolutely no way to get the old DP out without removing the lower O2 sensor or dropping the subframe (which just wasn't happening). The brackets and O2 sensor hit the heatshield with the subframe attached. I also took off the old bracket from the transmission to give me a little more room.

3rd, the O2 sensors connect under the plastic cover under the bars, both of which you ideally need to remove to disconnect both sensors.

4th, as long as you remove the exhaust support and 8 screws from the exhaust brace in the back, your definitely don't need to completely remove the exhaust.

Lastly, buttoning up the exhaust.. I almost thought I was going to be in the same situation as my old Mazda 626 I replaced the header on where the "bolt on part" was too short and exhaust work would need to be fabbed on. Luckily, the exhaust just shifted and my dad and I manhandled it into position. I was also worried because the bolts are not welded/secured onto the new DP, so theoretically you need to have a wrench on both sides to tighten the nuts, which is impossible in such a tight space. Luckily the lockring washer prevented the inaccessible side from turning.

I did cheat and didn't use an O2 removal socket/claw though! We cut one end of a large close ended 22mm wrench to allow it to slide over the O2 wire - it slipped since it is weaker metal, but the open end and PB blaster broke the bond.
Appreciate 0