View Single Post
      03-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #48
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Your point is well taken, but I don't think the M3/M4 belong in the conversation as they are much larger/heavier cars, nor the C2S or 718 GTS as they are bred to perform on a different level. Also, we should acknowledge that we are not comparing apples to apples here since the P-cars have either a rear-engine or mid-engine layout, both of which provide inherent advantages on the track over the front-engine layout of the BMW. Still though, I can't help but see the 2-er as a "poor man's 911" in terms of the basic recipe being a 2+2 RWD coupe with available 6-speed manual and 3.0L turbocharged 6-cylinder. Who else besides Porsche with the 911 and BMW with the 2-er is offering this configuration today? I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

A little off-topic, but I would totally love to see a track battle between the M2 Competition and either a base 991.2 Carrera 2 or the Carrera T w/ sofas on a ~3 mile course like VIR, for example.. Same driver and same transmission option for both - either DCT/PDK or 6-speed/7-speed manual. I think this would be a fun battle to watch and probably as "apples to apples" as we can get if comparing the two platforms. The Carrera is down on power and torque, but also weighs ~400 lbs less. Any volunteers out there who want to join me at VIR this year for either the PCA HPDE or BMW CCA HPDE? I'll bring my lowly M240i and a stopwatch.
I think a 991.2 or a T would be significantly faster without question. Problem with the M2 Competition is that it is 150 lbs heavier than the M2 so almost all the power was negative by weight. I do know the 991.2 is faster than a regular M3/4 and I would place bets on it being as fast or faster than the M4 GTS on similar tires given the 991.2S on summer tires is faster than the M4 GTS on cup tires...not to mention the fact that the M4 GTS also has 80 more hp and 100 to more.
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50