Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
What? No LWB + rear seat delete option?! That is why you buy the T to begin with! Trust me when I say I'm a Porsche fanatic (peep the username), but for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would pay double or potentially near triple (depending on options) the price of a M240i for the same 0-60 time and actually a very similar driving feel in terms of being a softer, more refined type of sports car with the same 2+2 sofa seat layout, same numb-ish steering, 3.0L turbocharged 6-pot, etc. etc. Despite the marketing efforts by Porsche, the Carrera T is still no GT3...hate to be a negative Nancy, but I'm genuinely curious where your motivation came from to make the switch.
While I agree the T with the LWB is a must in my eyes, I'm sorry but the T is not comparable to the M240i in any measure. I'm fortunate enough to have had lots of seat time and laps in a T, they are nothing short of incredible. Obviously they are not a GT3 but at PDK T with rear wheel steer and N1 Cup2's is similar in performance to a 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Thanks, guys. Here are the first pics...
Beautiful car! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
There's no comparison with the 240i, even the M3/4 don't compare to the dynamics and true feel of a 911 or and Porsche sports car. I owned both an m3 and M4 and own a 991.2S and 718 Cayman GTS and wouldn't ever compare given the strong dichotomy of how they feel to drive and out around a road course. Even the M4 GTS to me didn't feel as nimble and responsive as my 991.2S. There's more to cars than 0-60 but the fact that the Carrera T with a manual runs 12.1@118 mph (pdk is faster) with only 370 hp is a testament to how fast it is. No other car with that level of HP would be anywhere close. On top of that it puts down 1.06gof lateral grip.
You get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Your point is well taken, but I don't think the M3/M4 belong in the conversation as they are much larger/heavier cars, nor the C2S or 718 GTS as they are bred to perform on a different level. Also, we should acknowledge that we are not comparing apples to apples here since the P-cars have either a rear-engine or mid-engine layout, both of which provide inherent advantages on the track over the front-engine layout of the BMW. Still though, I can't help but see the 2-er as a "poor man's 911" in terms of the basic recipe being a 2+2 RWD coupe with available 6-speed manual and 3.0L turbocharged 6-cylinder. Who else besides Porsche with the 911 and BMW with the 2-er is offering this configuration today? I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

A little off-topic, but I would totally love to see a track battle between the M2 Competition and either a base 991.2 Carrera 2 or the Carrera T w/ sofas on a ~3 mile course like VIR, for example.. Same driver and same transmission option for both - either DCT/PDK or 6-speed/7-speed manual. I think this would be a fun battle to watch and probably as "apples to apples" as we can get if comparing the two platforms. The Carrera is down on power and torque, but also weighs ~400 lbs less. Any volunteers out there who want to join me at VIR this year for either the PCA HPDE or BMW CCA HPDE? I'll bring my lowly M240i and a stopwatch.
A T would destroy an M2 Comp with the same driver. I've owned two F80's, and the underated power from Porsche and 400lb weight advantage makes the T leagues more capable than anything BMW has to offer.
Correct, but I think what is getting overlooked is that the basis for my initial comment was price and the type of drive it offers on the street being comparable to a 2-series. I still say not worth the upgrade cost, but that's just me sharing my opinion. Steven clearly felt otherwise, and I'm happy for him.

I also think the Carrera would beat the M2C on track. Question is by how much? I'd still like to see this battle take place! Until the M2C came along, BMW had nothing even close to comparable in terms of wheelbase/size/weight/performance. Now, there's something in the ballpark that could make for a fun show and an interesting outcome. That's all I'm saying here.