03-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #65
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I always knew (and said) that my M240i was my favorite car ever. Sure, there were arguably "better" cars, but the BMW suited me like an old favorite shirt that I'd want to wear every day.

I expected that the 911 would give me the same feeling, and then some. And on paper, it did. But I'm not feeling a soulful connection with the supremely "better" (far more competent) 911.

If I could have a do-over, I'd still be driving my trusty Bimmer.

I can't say one bad word about the Porsche. It just doesn't **suit** me; it's a matter of 'fit'...

An M240i has a multi-dimensional personality that adapts to every purpose and driving mood. On the other hand, the 911 is singularly focused and inflexibly serious in its mission and character.

The 911 would never fail to make a great first, second, and third impression. And honestly, if you're willing to conform yourself to the car's idiosyncrasies, it can be a daily driver. But a 911 demands being fussed over, in a demanding "take it or leave it" way. OTOH, the M240i requires no such sacrifice, ever, from the driver – it's the better balanced all-purpose livability winner.

You might think that what I'm reporting should have been obvious. But I'd argue that the experience has been like a new pair of shoes that seem to fit well, until you've worn them for a couple of hours.

I'm not in any way dissatisfies with the 911 (for what it is), but it won't be a long-term occupant of my garage. We are just not a 'match' for each other. I enjoy rowdiness, at times, but sometimes it becomes overbearing when there's no 'relax' button to press. I'm glad for having had the experience... sometimes we just need to scratch an itch.

Not sure what's next, but my extreme happiness with BMW will most certainly lead me right back here. Maybe the new Z, while waiting for the next-gen 2 Series to arrive. Gawd, I miss my M240i.

D'oh! Live and learn. Sometimes "better" isn't really better.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 2