View Single Post
      06-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
You're imagining a problem where there isn't one. The standard wheels on the North American X2 are 19x8. These are not "narrow" wheels for a vehicle of this size and the tires are an appropriate width considering the wheel width. Also, "brand new" tires do not cause steering issues. This is a case of the tires doing exactly what they are designed to do, which is to grip the road. They grip so well that as the contour of the road changes, the vehicle changes direction. As I and others have said, it's a common effect with low profile tires, especially tires with relatively high inflation pressure. Both of my BMW 3 series exhibit this. My son's GTI exhibits this. My ML 320 doesn't. It's heavy vehicle with higher profile tires.
Pretty sure that the wheels are 18" x 7.5. I could take a look when I'm out at the dealer again on Thursday - but I would be very surprised if they were 19s...
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-mo...fications.html

and I drive this section of road a lot - in BMW loaners, in my M3, in my wife's Clubman and her MDX and yes, occasionally in my 1M. This felt weird - like the steering was kicking out every now and then, but the steering wheel was not moving. It wasn't the tramming that can happen with ruts in the road, it was just weird.

Maybe an early build car? Maybe like I said, narrow taller tires might be to blame and yes, of course, it could be just me.
Appreciate 0