02-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
well at least one car company besides lamborghini has balls.

jesus for second i thought every last car was going to be a twin 6.
Yep! And technically they are the same company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
The car is so low volume, they can put whatever engine they want in it and meet govt standards.
Yes and no. The overall emissions numbers are calculated for an entire brand. VW is pretty big, so you can bet that they are lumping in their Golfs, Polos, etc. in with that. You may remember Aston and their Cygnet.

This was partially why BMW bought Mini a while back as a brand emissions reducer. Now onto the M3..... I think it's still sufficiently low volume that they could have made a proper engine for it. But it's much cheaper to tweak the N55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Car and Driver just confirmed it and it will be better than the last one. Really disappointed BMW didn't just improve on the S65 instead of designing a totally new engine.
Me too! Shortly after the debut of the S65, I remember an interview with an M engineer who effectively stated that there is much more development to be done on NA engines at M, and that the S65 has significant room for improvement. This was before the efficient dynamics push really went full stride.