View Single Post
      04-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
xjarhed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

335i X-Drive vs. 1 Series M?????

Interesting...
I am off my 2009 335i X-Drive lease in March 2012 (eligible for pull ahead in December 2011). I previously owned a 2007 X3 and my wife recently moved from a 2007 328i lease (loaded and no Xi) to a used 2007 Z4M Coupe. Do you folks see where this is headed? I gots to keep up with the ball-n-chain!....
I got 4k off MSRP ($54,450) on the 335 X-Drive two years ago. Prem, Cold, Sport, Comfort, Sat, Nav, Prem Sound. LOVE IT!
Now..., it will roll when cornering more than my wifes 2007 328i w/ Sport. Hers drove like a GoKart. First pair of run flats lasted 22k with some severe driving habits. There is some oversteer... N54 is just now giving me some issues (currently in shop as I write this). Cracked windshield from year one (4 chips, why bother fixing until I turn it in). Normal oil levels. Medium acceleration will result in an average of 16 MPG city and as high as 27 on long trips. AWD is jerky at times, Downhill assist is very helpful on snowy, steep inclines. Unless your running Studless snow tires, AWD is horrible with RFT extreme summer (obviously, right?).
Bottom line? 335i X-Drive is great if you are prepared to spend extra money on tires for winter use (Mtn, 6" of snow or less). AWD gives you piece of mind in rain and near freezing temps. Tires with Sport are 18" and staggered, so be prepared to spend $900 at the least to replace them if you do NOT want RFT. Great "famliy" car and seats 2 teens and a grade schooler in back with only minor bickering. As far as fun? Sure, the N54 is a decent job of pushing my wife's Z4M to its limits when we are side by side...
If you want a fast, fun to drive, get lots of looks and will do "ok" for a famliy of FOUR or less, get the 1 Series M if you can find one. No more leasing for me. I'll take my chances on a conv loan.... BTW, my payment is $710/mo with 4k (I think it was closer to 3.5k off MSRP). That was 10k/mo for 36mo.
Good luck. Think about what YOU want and what your needs are. Happy shopping.
Oh, BTW? They gave me a 2011 328i Convertible for a loaner while they figure out how to program my 335 and replace the fuel pump. Two things. I'm never going backwards to a 328 EVER! Too slow! Convert? If I can't get a 1 Series M, getting a Vert!

Last edited by xjarhed; 04-27-2011 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: misspelled
Appreciate 0