07-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #14
LeeT73
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Thanks, Lee. I have the software to clock the 0-60 time, and may well do it but first I will have to find somewhere safe for repeated runs.

I have not had any problems so far and do not expect to have any. If the dealerships offer Dinan tunes, they must have reason to believe that this modification is unlikely to give them headaches with warranty claims because, even with the belt-and-suspenders Dinan warranty to protect BMW's exposure, I don't think BMW wants to encourage people to over-tune their cars while they are under warranty. People will tell you that piggyback tunes are not the fastest and ECM flash tunes are better and that may be so, but this piggyback will satisfy all but he most demanding, track-oriented consumers of aftermarket performance products and it is well-mannered, i.e. the engine burbles away very happily in heavy traffic and otherwise normal city driving conditions but when you want to open it up, the car really flies. I guess what I am trying to say is that the tune does not appear to stress the engine in any way and even at 120 mph and about 4500 rpm with the tune,nor under very heavy acceleration, every bit of feedback I get from the engine (and the gearbox and the suspension) says "no sweat, want more?"
Thanks for the quick reply. Admittedly, I have not done a ton of research on these "tunes", but part of me thinks it sounds a little too good to be true. I mean, if there was more power and better handling to be wrung out of this car, why didn't BMW just do it themselves?

I suspect the answer to that question, is that BMW err'd on the safe side with regards to performance, and that these tunes edge the car closer to it's limits.

I do appreciate, however, as you state above, that BMW dealerships will do the tune. As long as my CPO Warranty remains 100% intact, I'm all for it!
Appreciate 1