View Single Post
      01-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Most of the made up information here seems to come from you. Look BMW has to come up with a number for break-in so I suppose that could be considered made up but its being made up by the engineers that designed the thing and have data. Why would Porsche have anything to do with a BMW break-in. If 700 is fine what about 70 miles? Tell us, your apparently the expert here.
Somebody has a case of the Mondays

Look, I'll try to simplify for you (and maybe even clarify my comment)

There is nothing "magical" about 1,200 miles. If there was, all car manufacturers would be right about there. But nooooo - they aren't.

In fact, from what I can tell (not spending my whole day searching for you, I mean I love you and all and you are always so nice to me but I have my limits), Porsche and MB/AMG don't even do an early break-in service (someone let me know if you see otherwise).

And as we know, BMW only does it on the M cars and has has the 1,200 mile timing for as long as I can remember (hmmm, they actually might have had it on regular cars way back when too? Should have saved my 1995 manual for my 325).

And... short of the rear diff, there is nothing really different about the M2 than a non M car in terms of engine and trans - there was no early service on the DCT for the 135is was there? (seriously asking).

Now, we also know that most engine builders (experts if you will) say to change the oil/diff/trans fluid - FAST. And.. we also know they often say do it more than once.

Of course we are dealing with a consumer product - and you and I are not going to be going back and forth to the dealer like crazy in the first few hundred miles - and heck, our car is under warranty so not really our problem is something goes boom in the first couple of years. So somewhere along the line, BMW came up with 1,200 miles.

And no, they didn't throw a dart on a wall - I'm sure there were reasons behind it (see above... ahem). But it is not some magical number - it can't be. Because it would have changed over the years as tolerances increased and technology changed. But it hasn't. Think marketing has something to do with that? I bet it does - can you imagine how this board would light up if that interval suddenly changed? Heck, I remember when they were not changing the trans (wait, diff? crap, can't remember that far back) on the 1Ms at 1,200 miles and people were going CRAZY!

There - I think I've made some good points, you may or may not agree. That's totally fine, but you could try to be just a "touch" nicer if you respond

Last edited by doug_999; 01-29-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0